University Vision Centre
We Are University
Reaching our Communities
HOW WE GOT HERE
Since our humble one-doctor, one-location beginnings in 1940, our goal has remained to provide premier eye care using the most up-to-date procedures and advanced technology.
With each new doctor and move, we’ve grown and evolved our practice to fit the everchanging needs of our El Paso community. And all the while, our commitment to serving the community has remained — we want what’s best for your eyes!
- 1940Dr. Hugh Hall, our first doctor, begins practicing in El Paso, TX. Dr. Hall was our Dr. John Ellis II’s childhood optometrist!
- 1950sDr. Darwin Rice starts his practice in the downtown area of El Paso, TX.
- 1980Dr. Darwin Rice starts his practice in the downtown area of El Paso, TX.
- 1980Dr. Bruce Blair graduates from optometry school and purchases the practice of his longtime optometrist, Dr. Rice.
- 1990Dr. Blair moves his practice to the middle of the same plaza as our current Westside office location. We were one of the shopping plaza’s original tenants!
- 1997Dr. Ellis purchases Dr. Hall’s practice.
- 2003Dr. Ellis and Dr. Blair merge their practices into Dr. Blair’s plaza office.
- 2005Dr. Hall retires at age 90 and 67 years in practice.
- 2011We moved from the middle of the plaza to our current, 7,000 sq. ft. location, just a few storefronts down from the original office — where we’ve remained since!
- 2012Dr. Ammon Garner joins the practice as an associate optometrist.
- 2016Dr. Garner purchases Dr. Blair’s share of the practice and becomes a partner with Dr. Ellis.
- 2019Dr. Blair retires.
- 2020Opened the doors to our Eastside location at 11365 Montwood Drive in El Paso, TX in order to offer convenient service to even more members of the El Paso community. New associate optometrist, Dr. Lindsey Kennedy, joins the practice.
- 2021Further expanded the practice by bringing on three new associate optometrists: Dr. Karina Quiñones, Dr. Gabriel Davila, and Dr. Gabriel Luna. This expansion allowed us to continue to meet the growing needs of our community.
- 2022 and BeyondWe continue to expand, serve the community, and offer the same fantastic eye care services our patients have come to expect during our decades-long history. We look forward to taking care of your entire family’s eye care as we continue to grow together.
team of Doctors
Our Advanced Technology
We pride ourselves on staying at the forefront of the latest optometry standards and techniques. We use cutting-edge technology — from exciting treatments to proven diagnostic tools with clear, easy-to-read results on large monitors — to help protect and care for your most precious assets: your eyes. And to prioritize your experience, we adopt solutions to ensure our care is as comfortable as can be.
The Best Eye Care
in El Paso
We don’t compromise quality of service, no matter if you’re here for an annual comprehensive eye exam or specialized optometric services. We work with our patients in El Paso to explain their care and provide a clear picture of their entire eye health, in an office that’s close to home and easy to contact.
Let’s Start a Conversation
"*" indicates required fields