Digital Eye Strain Solutions in El Paso
Digital eye strain is on the rise as society increases our use of technological devices.
Symptoms of Digital Eye Strain:
- Sore neck, back, and shoulders
- Tired, fatigued eyes
- Difficulties with sleep
- Dry, red eyes
- Problems focusing
- Blurry vision
Digital eye strain comes with a variety of consequences. Spending long amounts of time focusing on digital screens has lead to increased exposure to blue light, as well as stress on the muscles of our eyes. We are dependent on digital screens for many things in today’s modern society, but we can minimize the effects on our eyes by being conscious of the strain.
Preventing & Managing Digital Eye Strain
There are many factors to consider when managing digital eye strain.
Do you spend a lot of your working life staring at a screen? If so, here are some ways to help manage the strain on your eyes:
- Control your posture by ensuring that your screen is at the correct height and distance in proportion to your eyes.
- Turn on your device’s blue light filter in settings to minimize blue light exposure.
- Invest in a good office chair or back support.
- Take frequent visual breaks by using the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes, take a 20 second break from your monitor by focusing on something 20 feet away.
Overstimulation from blue light and digital entertainment can have a poor impact on our sleep.
- Stop using digital devices, including your television, at least one hour before going to bed. Opt to read a book or do a craft to wind down instead.
- Allow yourself time to wake up before checking your smartphone.
- Schedule a time well before your nightly routine begins to check your social media, set alarms, and complete other digital tasks so that you are not distracted and tempted to use your smartphone or computer before bed.
- If you must use a digital device before going to sleep, set its blue light filter to turn on automatically every evening.